Thursday, August 2, 2012

8-2-12 UDK Environment Update

I'm not sure if this is a major update, but here's a post to show my work from the last few weeks.  Most of the work has been spent on the bridge in my UDK scene.  I had to rebuild some of the bridge because it was clunky, and I was having UDK import problems with the mesh.  In the end, the bridge mesh was split into more manageable pieces that made it easier to work with.

Here are some of the most recent renders from UDK:










Some of the major changes include:

-Rescaled BG foliage
-Extra and improved bridge elements (ropes, wood, flags, modeled trim)
-Higher res palm tree branches as a base LOD
-Path foliage rearranged
-Cave textures up-rezed

I tweaked the scene saturation down slightly after seeing my renders on other monitors, which made it look quite a bit more saturated than I intended.

As for what's next, I was thinking about setting up some lerp node systems for the foliage materials, so I can vertex paint some color variation into them, just so it all isn't just plain green.  Also, I'm considering doing more with the background foliage. By this I mean I'd like to try having more of it go near the top of the frame, like in my previous paintover, but at the right scale instead.  I was thinking about making some other assets for the far background foliage, like some cool looking lush trees that could help the silhouette of the far background.  I might look into creating more varied ground foliage as well, like different types of grass or shrubs.

As usual I'll be posting this to Polycount within the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment