Monday, August 1, 2011

Interior Environment - Final

With a final pass, I made tweaks to the textures and totally revamped the lighting.  I also played with particle effects for the atmospheric dust around the window and the smoke of the cigarette on the ashtray.



And that'll do it for now.  I might adjust some things later as I see it, but for the most part, it's on the shelf for now.

Interior Environment - Second Pass Texturing, First Pass Lighting

Some steps were taken to refine the textures and then I started tinkering with the lighting of the scene.  I first used an plane with a glowing surface shader that was invisible to the renderer to minimally light the room.  After that I started with the bigger lights and worked my way down until I thought it looked right.  Naturally, I wanted the key light to be coming from the window, and I wanted to go for that yellowish-gold late afternoon lighting.  For the sunlight, I used a directional light, and for the interior fill lights, spot and volume lights were mostly used.
Smoke and special effects would come later.


The next and final step would be to polish the scene as is, and to fix any problems that I received from feedback.  Generally, this render was pretty dark, and I felt that there was more with the lighting that could be interesting.

Interior Environment - First Pass Texturing

Texturing was the next step.  I focused on texturing first before touching lighting.

Here are some screenshots of the room with a first pass of textures:



The white around the carpet would be alpha'd out on the final render.



The clippings on the bulletin were some of my favorites to mock up.

The next step would be to fine tune these textures, since there was some definite problems in some spots.  After that, I'd use my look and feel as a rough guide to experiment with lighting a bit.

Interior Environment - Look and Feel

This part was fun to do.  I did a look and feel illustration to aid with the next steps of texturing and lighting.  This was done using a blank, rendered shot of the room as a base:



Just to roughly figure out what the room would look like when it's all finished.  It works as a great guide when it comes to lighting and texturing the models.

Interior Environment - High Poly Models

Here are some shots of the high polygon models.  These were created by duplicating all of the low polygon models and by smoothing them by using Maya's high quality display.  Extra edge loops were added along the edges to maintain hard edges where they were needed.

Starting off with an ambient occlusion render:




And now some screenshots with wireframe on:





Interior Environment - Low Poly Models and UVs

Learning to model in Maya takes a bit of an adjustment.  From what I could tell, Maya nearly has all of the tools Max does, though it often takes a different process to achieve similar results.

Here's some shots of the whole room with with a low poly modeling run:





The end plan was to start with low polygon models, and then with the use of hard surface modeling, create high polygon models from the low polygon models for the final rendering.  I meant to build these objects to real world scale, so I attempted to keep everything proportionally correct with that in mind.  On another layer  I had some size references to keep my bearings straight:


The cylinder in there is roughly my height, 5' 5''.  And the cube to the right is a 1 foot cube.


Here's some more detail shots of some of the models:





The objects are color coded into five layers, with each layer sharing one UV sheet.

Back on the Grid

Haven't found a ton of time to update the blog, but now classes are over, it's time for some updates.  First off, one or two daily paintings that didn't make it here:




From there a lot of my focus shot to summer classes and game team work, so unfortunately I couldn't keep up the daily paintings.

Next to come is some process work for my interior environment that I posted thumbnails for a few months ago.  Stay tuned!